Support (Ed Support Level 1-range 1)
Whorouly Primary School is located in the small rural community of Whorouly in the Ovens Valley between Wangaratta and Myrtleford in North Eastern Victoria, approximately 250 kilometres from Melbourne. Students are drawn from the town itself and the school bus service transports students from the surrounding district. Whorouly Primary School is a member of the Ovens Learning Community of schools (OLC), the base school for a MACC (Mobile Art) service and the licensee for the Whorouly Preschool.
The Whorouly Primary School buildings consist of a semi-open plan learning space, with three teaching areas, a multi-purpose classroom, large covered deck, kitchen/staffroom, office, resource room and library/meeting room.
The following values underpin the beliefs of the Whorouly Primary School Community and provide the basis for our actions:
Learning: Acquiring academic, social, physical and emotional knowledge and skills.
Relationships: Developing authentic relationships where mutual respect and support are promoted.
Persistence: Cultivating a positive work ethic and managing challenging situations as they arise.
Respect: Building respect for self and others, our community and the environment.
Teamwork: Working co-operatively with others towards common goals.
Whorouly Primary School stresses the importance of literacy and numeracy and ensures the provision of low teacher- student ratios for these curriculum areas. We encourage the use of technology to support all learning, with every student having access to his or her own laptop or desktop computer. The school provides programs in all domains of the Victorian Curriculum. Students regularly participate in multi-age sessions working as a whole school group. Specialist teachers present the Library and Science, Art and Italian programs. The classroom programs are enriched through camps, excursions, musical performances the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program, STEM Challenges, Bluearth, Bike Education and OLC cluster activities.
Whorouly Primary School places great emphasis and value on being a community school with parents, students, teachers and community members and groups working together to provide a quality education.
The Whorouly Preschool is adjacent to the school and we collaborate to provide valuable transition opportunities for the children. Most of our Foundation enrolments have attended our preschool.
In 2019, with steady enrolments, we have a three-classroom structure for literacy and numeracy , three days per week and two classes on the alternate days.
SC1 Demonstrated experience and skills in coordinating a specific education support function.
SC2 Demonstrated high level oral and written communication skills.
SC3 Possess the technical knowledge and expertise relevant to the position.
SC4 Demonstrated capacity to provide advice and support to management in respect to the work area.
SC5 Demonstrated commitment to professional learning and growth for both self and others.
To work within the junior classroom, under the direction of the classroom teacher, to support a student in their academic, social and emotional development
- Assist students on an individual or group basis in specific learning areas.
- Assist with the communication between students and teachers, particularly the interpretation of instructions.
- Provide basic physical and emotional care for students.
- Participate in team meetings.
- Assist with the supervision of pupils in playgrounds, at camps, on excursions, in sporting activities, therapy activities and life skills.
- Assist in the preparation of student resources and equipment.
- Prepare basic curriculum support resources.
- Set up and put away equipment and materials in support of teaching programs.
- Observe students and draw the attention of the teacher to them where necessary.
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of programs and evaluation of individual student involvement and achievement.
- Ensure work areas and materials, equipment and appliances are maintained in a clean and ready to use condition.
Individuals with the aptitude, experience and/or qualifications to fulfill the specific requirements of the position.
The Department values diversity and is committed to workforce diversity and equal opportunity in schools and all education workplaces. The Department recognises that the provision of family friendly, supportive, safe and harassment free workplaces is essential to high performance and promotes flexible work, diversity and safety across all schools and Department workplaces.
Victorian government schools are child safe environments. Our schools actively promote the safety and wellbeing of all students, and all school staff are committed to protecting students from abuse or harm in the school environment, in accordance with their legal obligations including child safe standards. All schools have a Child Safety Code of Conduct consistent with the Department’s exemplar available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/health/protect/Pages/childsafestandards.aspx
The Department’s employees commit to upholding DET’s Values: Responsiveness, Integrity, Impartiality, Accountability, Respect, Leadership and Human Rights. DET’s Values complement each school’s own values and underpin the behaviours the community expects of Victorian public sector employees, including those who work in Victorian Government Schools. Information on the DET values is available at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/workm/Pages/Public-Sector-Values.aspx
- All staff employed by the Department and schools have access to a broad range of employment conditions and working arrangements.
- Appointment of successful applicants will be made subject to a satisfactory pre-employment conditions check.
- A probationary period may apply during the first year of employment and induction and support programs provided.
- Detailed information on all terms and conditions of employment is available on the Department's Human Resources website at http://www.education.vic.gov.au/hrweb/Pages/default.aspx
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: